Common Questions About Somzi
The Mattress - Materials & Construction
- What makes the Somzi mattress unique?
- Somzi mattresses are backed by over 125 years of experience, and are made from premium materials that are designed to outperform competitive mattresses. Somzi is made from a combination of Gel Swirl Memory Foam for comfort and to keep you cool; Serene Foam® which uses microcells to trap air and reduce pressure points almost like “shock absorbers”; and Support Foam which is extra high density and far more comfortable than other mattresses.
- Is the Somzi mattress firm or soft?
- You'll find that the Somzi mattress is more supportive than other memory foam mattresses and doesn't sink. We designed the Somzi mattress to be “just right.” It will cradle your body with supreme comfort while sleeping, but still provide a bouncy surface for sitting and other activities.
- Does the Somzi mattress retain heat?
- The Somzi is designed using gel-swirl memory foam and Serene® comfort foam in order to not trap heat.
- Is the Somzi mattress American made?
- Yes, the Somzi is manufactured in the USA, and all materials are sourced and hand-stitched in America.
- Why is the Somzi mattress less expensive than normal retail?
- The fact that we sell our products online and don’t require huge showrooms, overstocked inventories, or commissioned salespeople reduces overhead and allows us to sell our mattresses for less. Your Somzi mattress is manufactured in the U.S. and shipped directly from the factory.
- Will I notice my partner move with the Somzi mattress?
- The Somzi mattress transfers movement less than a traditional spring mattress and offers greater movement isolation. If your partner is more than 6-inches away, you will not notice any movement at all.
- Does the Somzi mattress form body impressions over time like my old memory foam mattress?
- The Somzi mattress won’t sink or create a valley, and we include a 10-year warranty to offer peace of mind to our customers. Our premium foam layers are more supportive than other mattresses.
- What type of material is the Somzi mattress made from?
- The Somzi is made from a proprietary blend of two-inches of Gel Swirl Memory Foam on top, two-inches of Serene Foam® in the middle and six-inches of extra supportive High Density Polyurethane foam on the bottom. Most other foam beds have a medium base foam and doesn’t support you as well as a Somzi bed when sitting on the edge or the bed.
- Is the Somzi mattress really a good fit for everyone?
- The Somzi mattress was specifically designed for all body types and sleep positions, and we find that only those who prefer extremely hard or soft sleeping surfaces may not love the Somzi. Luckily, we have a 100 night, risk-free trial so you can give it a try without having to commit.
- How much does the Somzi mattress weigh?
- All of our mattresses weigh less than 100 pounds when packaged in the box.
- Will the Somzi mattress help with my medical problems?
- Since every medical condition is unique to the person experiencing it, we can’t say for sure whether the Somzi mattress will help treat your specific condition. However, we can offer you 100 nights, risk-free to try it and find out for yourself.
- Will the Somzi mattress roll up like an airbed?
- The Somzi is intended to be used as a permanent mattress, and once it is out of the box it won’t recompress or roll up.
- Does the Somzi memory foam have an unpleasant odor?
- Latex is usually the culprit when a mattress smells bad, and Somzi products have no latex, and little or no smell.
- Can I use the Somzi mattress if I’m allergic to latex?
- Yes, Somzi beds are 100% latex-free.
The Mattress - Testing & Certifications
- What safety tests have been performed on the Somzi mattress?
- All mattresses in the US must meet stringent burn tests, as governed by 16 CFR 1633 and 1632. The Somzi mattress uses a fire retardant knit sock, free from harmful chemicals, to prevent fire. The knit sock is made from a proprietary yarn with a silica core and a polyester/acrylic/nylon/rayon outer wrap. When the yarn burns, a barrier is formed that prevents oxygen from increasing the fire.
- Does the Somzi mattress have any certifications?
- All of the foams in the Somzi mattress are Certi-Pur-US® certified, meaning they are:
- Made without ozone depleters
- Made without PBDE flame retardants
- Made without mercury, lead, and other heavy metals
- Made without formaldehyde
- Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
The Mattress - Supply Chain
- What is your supply chain philosophy?
- We engineer every component of the bed, which gives us ultimate control over the entire process. We insist on using partners that are eco-friendly, comply with all government regulations and follow our exacting standards when it comes to quality.
- Where is the Somzi mattress made?
- Virtually every component of the Somzi mattress is handmade in the U.S., mostly in Texas and North Carolina.
- Where will my Somzi mattress be shipped from?
- Your Somzi mattress will be shipped from our plant in Texas.
The Mattress – Size
- What is the size difference between a King and CA King?
- The CA King (or California King), measures (72” W x 84” L) and is four inches narrower (left to right) and four inches longer (head to toe) than a King (76” W x 80” L).
- How long does it take for the Somzi mattress to go back to its original size once it is removed from the box?
- While your mattress will be its normal size and ready to sleep on within minutes of coming out of the box, full recovery may take up to 24 hours.
- What are the dimensions of each size of Somzi mattress?
- All Somzi mattresses are 10-inches high, with the length and width sitting at standard U.S. dimensions:
- Twin: 39” W x 75” L
- Twin XL: 39” W x 80” L
- Full: 54” W x 75” L
- Queen: 60” W x 80” L
- King: 76” W x 80” L
- Cal King: 72” W x 84” L
- How thick is the Somzi mattress?
- The Somzi mattress is made with 10-inches of foam. Some mattresses claim that they are 10” thick but the actual foam thickness may be less.
- What size is the box that the Somzi mattress is shipped in?
- Our Twin, Twin XL and Full mattresses ship in a box that is 15” W x 15” L x 44”H inches. Our Queen, King, and California King ship in a box that is 19” W x 19” L x 44” H. The total weight of the box will range between 55 lbs-105 lbs., depending on the size of mattress.
Buying a Somzi Mattress
- Is there a Somzi showroom where I can try the mattress?
- No, we do not currently have a showroom.
- Do I have to pay for shipping?
- No, shipping and returns are covered.
- Is there tax added to my purchase?
- Sales tax is only charged in certain states/provinces.
- How much does the Somzi mattress cost?
- Here is a list of the prices, by size:
- Twin Somzi: $850 USD
- Twin XL Somzi: $900 USD
- Full Somzi: $990 USD
- Queen Somzi: $1090 USD
- King Somzi: $1,190 USD
- California King Somzi: $1,190 USD
- Can I finance my Somzi mattress?
- Yes, all Somzi products are eligible for financing through PayPal Credit, which offers no payments + no interest if paid in full in 6 months. See option at checkout.
- What type of base do you recommend for the Somzi?
- Somzi mattresses are designed to be versatile and work well with all standard bases. The more direct support you can have under the bed, the better. Any slats should be no more than 3-inches apart for optimal comfort and support. Traditional box springs are also acceptable bases for your Somzi mattress.
- Can I use an adjustable base or wall unit type bed with the Somzi?
- Yes, Somzi mattresses work with an adjustable base or a wall type units providing they can accommodate the mattress thickness and is not folded.
- Is there a “breaking in” period for the Somzi mattress?
- It can take up to 30 days for your body to adjust to any new mattress, which is why we offer a 100 night, no-risk guarantee.
- Do I ever need to flip the mattress over?
- No, the mattress is not designed to be flipped over, although rotating it 180 degrees every few months may be beneficial.
- What should I do if the mattress feels uneven?
- This is usually due to the base the Somzi is placed on. First, set the mattress on the floor to see if the base is the culprit. If it still feels uneven, call our toll free number (800) 219-2375
Shipping & Delivery
- When can I expect my Somzi mattress to arrive?
- Typically, your mattress will take 2-5 business days to arrive via UPS Ground once it has been shipped. You will receive a shipping confirmation email with a tracking number, so you’ll know where it is in the process.
- Do you ship Somzi products outside the U.S.?
- At the moment, we only ship within the United States. Sign up for our newsletter to find out when we start shipping internationally. It is possible to have it shipped to a friend or freight forwarder in the U.S., but you would be responsible for coordinating the shipping abroad, which may cost more than $500.
- Does Somzi ship to Hawaii and Alaska?
- Yes, but there may be added shipping costs.
Owning a Somzi Mattress
- Does the Somzi mattress come with a frame?
- Not at the present time. The mattress is designed for just about any configuration, as long as the base is supportive and firm. Feel free to contact our support staff for advice on choosing a platform for your mattress.
- Will my sheets fit on a Somzi mattress?
- Any sheets that will fit on a mattress that’s 10-inches high will work.
- How can I make sure my mattress is protected?
- The foam in the Somzi is covered by a premium fabric cover that can be unzipped, washed in cold water, and hung up to dry. Don’t dry the Somzi mattress in a dryer as this could result in shrinkage. You should also use a fitted sheet over top of the fabric cover. For even more protection, a mattress protector or pad also pair well with Somzi mattresses.
- How often should I replace my mattress?
- We recommend replacing a mattress every 10 years. Here is more information regarding mattress lifespans.
Unboxing a Somzi Mattress
- How long can I leave the mattress in the box?
- It is possible to keep the mattress in the box for up to three months, without any ill effects. Keep in mind, your 100 night, risk-free trial begins on the day you receive your mattress.
- Do I have to wait before I can sleep on my Somzi mattress?
- No, you can sleep on your mattress as soon as you remove it from the box. It may take up to 24 hours to completely recover from being boxed.
Reviewing a Somzi Mattress
- Is it possible to leave a review for my Somzi mattress?
- Yes, you can leave a review on our website.
Returning a Somzi Mattress
- What is your return policy?
- Within the 100-night trial, we will arrange a date for your mattress to be picked up and you will receive a refund of the purchase price 1-3 business days after the pickup. We do require that you give your Somzi at least a 30-day trial before making a decision on returning.
- Is it possible to get the Somzi mattress back in the box?
- No, the mattress will expand to its full size almost instantly and will not fit back into the box.
- Should I save the box my Somzi mattress came in?
- No, it is not necessary to keep the shipping box.
Somzi™ is a trademark of American Excelsior Company-Arlington, TX
Serene® is a registered trademark of Carpenter Company-Richmond, VA
Certi-PUR-US® is a registered trademark of Alliance for Flexible Polyurethane Foam, Inc.